Friday, April 17, 2009

Missunderstood

I learned recently that a few of my friends are involved in religions that I know virtually nothing about. Apparently Quakers can don't have to believe in god to be faithful. Some of them believe in a life force, and simply avoid killing things. I found it really interesting that a Christian sect didn't require believing in god. Everything I know about Christianity focuses on the single omnipotent god. I can't help but wonder how little I know about other sects of Christianity, or other religions for that matter.
How many choices to do people make based on their faith? I tend to think that its a large amount, and the only way to understand those choices is to understand other peoples faith. I think a substantial portion of conflicts could be resolved in the world, but getting to know to the other side, or for that matter your "own" side. I was raised Catholic but stopped attending church was I was young. I find that I have trouble understanding devote Christians motivations for many of their choices. Part of me is tempted to read to the bible, just to figure out why certain passages are so important and guide peoples lives. After that I might go read a Koran or read up on other religions in general. Lack of understanding can only lead to conflict. There is enough conflict in the world. Its time to learn how to avoid it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that a lack of understanding leads to problems. I was just talking with Meg about reading the Bible and other religious works. Not only would it help you understand peoples outlooks and behaviors better, but I think it would help a lot with literature also because so many books make allusions to the bible that I always feel like I'm missed something when I analyze some of the classics. Sorry for that tangent. I've had this problem when I've thought about picking a religion. I just don't know enough about all of them to pick the one that I believe. And finally while I agree with you that understanding a person's religion is important to understand the person and avoiding conflict, I think we should extend that not only to religion, but also culture. Especially in international affairs and conflicts understand another person's culture is paramount.

    ReplyDelete