Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Rastafari take two


I watched this video today and learned about a very different group of Rastafaris than I have
learned about so far. These Rastas still share the Dreadlocks, the colors red green and yellow,
the flag, and many of the same views. The biggest distinction I found were the differences in
attitudes toward "Babylon." Both the book Rastafari and Bob Marley have very strong feelings
white culture, and the west as a whole. They spread messages of how bad it is and how evil
Babylon is. The Rastas from the video don't appear to nearly as violent towards Babylon. They
just want to go back to Africa, and live simple lives filled with prayer in an effort to save up the
means to return. The turban and the regimented praying are two differences that are easy to spot.
While Marley spreads messages of rebellion, the simple Rastas awake early in the morning
to pray. I have a much easier time relating to the peaceful Rastas. Being a part of Babylon I
can't help but feel like some of the Rasta's hatred toward Babylon includes me, and everyone I
know. The peaceful Rastas do not seem to share the same hatred of Babylon, they just want to
go to Ethiopia. Its much easier to get along with people when neither side openly expresses
dislike of the other. I think the Marley Rastas would more easily further their cause if the message
wasn't quiet so anti Babylon. Granted that is a big part of their identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment